Saturday, February 22, 2014

Impacts on Early Emotional Development

I choose to look closer at West and Central Africa. This is one part of the world that has always interested me and I have always tried to research and learn more about this area when I am given the opportunity. I also that their educational system is much different than ours and this always intrigues me.

One of the biggest challenges that these children face is malnutrition, and 2 out of every 10 children don't even reach their 5th birthday. If they do make it past their 5th birthday they usually do not go to school because of poverty and traditional beliefs. Often times these children are are victims of violence and sexual behaviors.

I can completely understand why it is hard for these children to learn and develop. If they are malnourished they are not going to be able to focus or learn anything that is being taught to them. They are going to be more concerned with their next meal. If they come down with disease that happens often in this area of the world, learning is the least of their concern. If they are victims they are going to be more worried about their survival then about what they are going to learn next. The priority of these children are completely different than the children that we have in our classrooms in the United States.

After reflecting on this situation it always reminds me of the quote, "Someone always has it worse." I reflect on the things that I worry about in my personal life and the things that my students worry about and some of it is so irrelevant. I have children that worry when their next meal will be, but they also know that they will get food. The children in West and Central Africa do not know when their next meal will come.

Resources:
UNICEF (2011). Retrieved from: http://www.unicef.org/infobycountry/index.html

No comments:

Post a Comment